Thursday, February 24, 2011

Aloha from the Arctic



So I was dropped off in the middle of the tundra the other day with 200 men that I didn't know. It was slightly frightening.

But since travelling up to Churchill with hundreds of troops over a week ago, I've discovered that the army has its own peculiar way of making you feel right at home.

Within an hour of being dropped off at the army's Forward Operating Base in Nunalla, Man. I found myself being thrust onto the shooting range with a heavy gun in my hand.

I didn’t ask for a chance to shoot, in fact, I told the boys I was afraid of weapons and even the sight of guns in police holsters makes me feel uneasy.

Every part of me wanted to stand back and watch, get some quotes from the troops and then head back to my tent to write a story.

I've also learned that standing behind the scenes doesn’t fly, so before I could think of an excuse a C-7 Rifle was in my skittish, civilian hands.

It was awesome. More to come!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting an adventure for you! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Jess.
    Keep it coming: words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fresh reporting Jess!
    You're conversations with the troops are honest.
    You have such an open mind and are patient to gain trust.
    You're right, standing on the sidelines defaults the experience.
    Roger

    ReplyDelete